Tax Tips and Resources
Searching for tax information?  Below we've provided answers to some frequently asked questions, and links to resources where you can find even more in-depth information.  If you can't find what you're looking for here, please contact us, and we'll be happy to speak with you about your questions.



What's an Enrolled Agent?  An Enrolled Agent, or EA, is a tax professional licensed by the federal government through strict testing and continuing education requirements.  In addition to advising clients and preparing returns, an EA is authorized to represent tax payers before the IRS.

When are the Estimated Tax due dates?  April 15, June 15, September 15, and January 15.

Where can I get Estimated Tax forms?  You can go to federal and state web sites to access forms.  You can view and print the blank form, or in some cases, fill in the form online and print the completed form.  Below are links to the most common forms:

What should I bring to a tax meeting?

Your personal and dependent information

Income items including W-2 forms from all employers, all 1099 forms, records of all stocks, bonds and mutual funds sold, dates purchased and amount paid, IRA or retirement plan distributions (all 1099-R forms), social security or other pension benefits, K-1 forms, and rental property records.

Expenses & Deductions including health/medical expenses if significant amount or includes premiums for qualified long-term care, local taxes paid (real estate & auto property taxes, state income taxes, etc.), mortgage interest statements for all mortgages and home equity lines of credit, charitable contribution receipts or records, unreimbursed work-related expenses, miscellaneous expenses including legal, accounting, investment fees, lock box, etc.), and any child care expenses.

Self-employed (Sch. C filers), please provide the following info:  business related equipment purchases, make, model and year of vehicles used in business and if partial year's usage, mileage driven breakdown of business and personal miles, healthcare expenses, beginning and end of year inventory value plus purchases, and other work related expenses such as supplies, utilities, labor, etc.

Education information, including student name, address, SSN, year of student (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, Other), education expenses such as room & board, books, tuition & fees.  Teachers may deduct as an adjustment to income up to $250 for unreimbursed classroom expenses.  Include any interest paid on student loans for the tax year.

Other info might include IRA or SEP contributions, info and closing statements on real estate transactions, installment sales or mortgage income (the name and SSN of the payer is required on self-financed mortgages), and canceled checks for ALL estimated tax payments (including any checks written this year that apply to last year's tax).  NC also requires payment of use tax on out-of-state purchases where no state sales tax was paid.

If we did not prepare your last tax return, please bring your old return in for our reference.  We'll make a copy and return the original to you.





Internal Revenue Service

North Carolina Department of Revenue

South Carolina Department of Revenue

National Association of Enrolled Agents - tax payer resources page